Saturday, January 21, 2023

 


These are a Few of My Favorite Things... To Read!

Some of us spent a peaceful, snowy morning last Thursday, happily mending our jeans with simple sashiko stitches and thumbing through my borrowed mini library of books. There are so many beauties out there! Here is a short reading list of some of my favorites. You can request them from your library (yes, you can find them on Amazon), or you can follow my links and check out a some online resources that I thought you might find useful. I hope they will get you inspired to dive into making and mending!

Jessica Marquez, Make and Mend
Katrina Rodabaugh, 
Mending Matters

Many of my sashiko needles and threads came from this great Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/kimonomomo

Remember, though, that this tradition is rooted in its history of necessity--of making do with what materials were available as a means of survival. It has certainly turned to a craft and fashion trend, but it does not require fancy pre-printed patterns and disappearing ink markers to make sashiko stitches. Any long needle will due (crewel embroidery or sharp darners are great), and cotton embroidery floss is a fine substitution, though might ultimately fray with wear. I can't wait to see what you make! 





No comments:

Post a Comment